Saturday, December 20, 2014

2014 Anime Restrospective, part 1: Winter

Are we here? Are we all still alive?



Good, I was worried there for a moment.

I figured that since it's been well over a year since my first completed, full article on this blog that I would kick things back into gear with posts summarizing my thoughts on each anime season in 2014. I'm hoping to get these blogs out every few days, and they'll only get more and more packed as each season goes on. Winter 2014 will be my shortest post as I am mostly opening up discussion of shows that I completed or are on my list of stuff to complete. With that out of the way, let's begin.

Winter 2014 was not the most-crowded of anime seasons, and many of its shows actually fell under the radar for me. Perhaps it was because this season happened when I was getting used to a new job, and thus was trying to balance out watching other stuff on my pile with being extremely exhausted after every new day at that temp job. Regardless, though, there was plenty to talk about, including two of the biggest hits of the year.


     Before we get started, I should note that these titles will be listed in order of when I completed each show. Afterwards, I'll say a few things about shows I started but have not yet finished, and I'll probably make a blog post with updates on shows I'll follow up with at some point during 2015.

Kill la Kill


     I'm going to get this show out of the way real quick, as it was the only simulcast continuing from the fall that I kept watching (as of writing this, I am still only halfway through Log Horizon and Nagi no Asukara; Samurai Flamenco and Golden Time remain at four episodes completed, to be revisited at some point). If you were anywhere on the internet since October 2013 and the topic of anime has been brought up, chances are you've encountered Studio Trigger's first full-length show, directed by Imaishi of Gurren Lagann fame. There is plenty to say about Kill la Kill that has already been said by many extremely insightful media critics.
It's genuinely entertaining with a lot of heart and some thematic intrigue that makes it neat to analyze, even if some of its symbolism is just base-level fanservice and not stating anything big. Fights can be floaty but are still engaging and lovingly-crafted. There's a lot of delight and passion in the animation, deliberately invoking 90s action anime aesthetic at points.
     Yeah, I really enjoyed Kill la Kill. It's a passionate show, and even with its problematic elements in its earlier episodes and fanservice-y outfits that aren't for everyone, it survives because its amped-up ludicrousness is genuine. It takes itself seriously while still being light enough to have the jokes it cracks be extremely funny. There's a lot more that I do want to talk about with it, but that won't happen until I clear up my thoughts on it after a second viewing.

...so, who wants to join me for a Kill la Kill rewatch?

Space Dandy


     The biggest show of the season (and perhaps the year) is Shinichiro Watanabe's animator playhouse, Space Dandy. Like another major Watanabe show, the show is an episodic series of adventures in space, utilizing different directors, writers, animation directors, and so on. Looking at the staff list for Space Dandy is like looking at a list of big names in the industry, as well as up-and-coming folks who need more exposure. Space Dandy works due to the charm of its cast, who do remain consistent throughout different sets of writers, in addition to both being a joy to look at and having some really engaging, memorable, and funny episodes.
Most of

     While the show pulls full steam ahead in its second half, there are definitely plenty of great episodes to be found in the batch that aired this winter. My favourites from this half include episode 4 (“Sometimes You Can't Live with Dying, Baby”; the zombie episode), episode 7 (“A Race in Space is Dangerous, Baby”; the Redline-esque racing episode), episode 9 (“Plants Are Living Things, Too, Baby”; the Eunyoung Choi-directed affair dealing with a psychedelic planet of plants), episode 10 (“There's Always Tomorrow, Baby”; the episode where the crew gets trapped on Meow's home planet and stuck in a time loop) and episode 13 (“Even Vacuum Cleaners Fall in Love, Baby”; QT is adorable, okay?). All are very fantastic episodes in their own right, and give a decent variety of animators and writers to look at (though, looking at my list of favourites, there's a lot of Kimiko Ueno-written stuff in there!). There's a good amount of variety between every episode of Space Dandy, and I'm sure there's something for most people in this show.

Wake Up, Girls!


     To me, this was one of the more criminally underrated shows of the winter season. When it first came out, there was general buzz for it among the aniblogger community. As it went along, though, it seems as though interest for it greatly waned.

     Part of this could be due to the fact that while it does show the seedier side of the idol profession, it still ends up having the same story of a rookie idol group trying to make it big while interspersing it with intriguing drama about the opposite side. It's still stock in that approach, but it's genuine and takes some interesting steps along the way, namely due to the fact that it emphasizes why specific people do what they love, even when it kicks them down and they majorly doubt their abilities. Mayu and Airi tend to be the characters focused on due to this, with their personal struggles handled personally and engagingly. Wake Up, Girls! succeeds in getting the viewer to root for this up and coming idol group, even if what happens to them is occasionally difficult to watch.
While I get that this part of the show is still stock, with the ending able to be spotted from a mile awhile,

     Another factor in what potentially drew people away from this show is the animation, which as I'll wholly admit is atrocious. There's plenty of art and animation errors to be found, and while most of the dance scenes look interesting and are choreographed well, there are serious errors in the daily life musings (particularly of note is one texting scene where a thumb moves about a phone almost inhumanly). I haven't been able to confirm if the blu-rays have fixed this, but I sure hope they have.

     Regardless, Wake Up, Girls! manages to strike a balance between telling the story of charming underdogs chasing their dreams and the corruption of the rival, big-name idol group while still not being afraid to showcase the darker sides of the idol industry. Not bad at all for something that was definitively supposed to be product placement for the real-life idol group.

Wizard Barristers


     You would think that a show about wizard lawyers wouldn't be terrible, huh? Just the statement of the premise alone is neat and ludicrous. In fact, the first few episodes of Wizard Barristers promise a fun procedural, something really lacking in terms of analytical content but very high on entertainment. Its first few episodes showed some stunning animation and fight choreography. In fact, I watched the first episode multiple times during its season while working out, because it made a very pretty wallpaper anime of sorts.

     What transpires as it continues, though, is a plodding identity crisis of a show that's rife with animation error after animation error.

     Wizard Barristers spends much of its runtime in increasingly ludicrous court cases, the majority of which are overcome by the Mary Sue lead, Cecil. She's young and full of passion, having passed the bar exam at the age of seventeen, and of course she's also a very special wizard.
So many of her cases are won by emotional appeal and not by actually being a good lawyer, and while she's scolded for her inexperience outside of the courtroom, she's continuously awarded as the story goes on just for being plucky and...not much else. Much of the cast, particularly the fellow members of Cecil's agency, remain undeveloped and become more and more uninteresting as the show goes on. The plot points seem to be introduced only to lend Cecil a hand, and go nowhere afterwards.

     Then the last set of episodes happened. This show is infamous for having a lot of rushed animation during these episodes, including scenes that are unfinished and basically sent in as key frames. The plot points introduced in these episodes obfuscate the unanswered questions of the previous ones with the introduction of many plot points that seemingly come out of nowhere.

     Wizard Barristers started off with potential promise, but it ended up diving head-first into the shallow end. After this and Galilei Donna, can we please stop giving Yasuomi Umetsu work?

Noragami


     The second of Bones' outings this past winter, you can tell that Noragami was the less lavish of the two productions (the other being Space Dandy). This one is definitely a more standard shonen tale, telling the story of three characters at its core: Hiyori, a regular middle school girl who gets saved from being hit by a bus by Yato, causing her to become a half-phantom; Yato, a war god who is trying to build his own shrine by taking on odd jobs for 5 yen at a time; and Yukine, a spirit whom Yato has turned into his Regalia, a weapon that he uses to destroy phantoms.

     From this past summary, there's a lot of terminology and utilization of Japanese folklore, but what Noragami does with all of this is a lot more interesting than simply presenting fight after fight. The circumstances surrounding Regalia and their relationship to who they serve is the crux of the series, and Yukine in particular illustrates a complex partnership with Yato, and its consequences were very well-presented.
From there, though, the show kinda rushed towards a conclusion that while hinted at, came together due to a contrived last-minute plot point that failed to actually emotionally resonate. There are other conflicts present that don't feel adequately explored, namely Yato's feud with Bishamon, which amounts to nothing in the end. Hiyori feels a lot less necessary as the series goes on, and an event involving her towards the end feels emotionally-manipulative (also, can we stop with the upskirts? Please?). However, she is still a dynamic character with defined personality traits and flaws, making her fun to watch.

     A lot of Noragami feels as though threads were left loose in case it performed well enough to justify a second season, which it does not appear to have done at this point. However, the pure charm of the show and characters bouncing off each other were really nice, and the setting and circumstances of that setting were all engaging to watch. I would gladly want to see more Noragami animated, perhaps with a bit more love (it's not a bad-looking show by any means, but it's not at Bones' typical caliber), as I do find myself missing these characters and setting as I think back on them fondly. I guess I'll just have to start reading the manga.

Engaged to the Unidentified


     Now, this is the last show from the winter that I really looked at. I first attempted to watch it right after it premiered, making it no more than halfway through the first episode before deciding it wasn't for me and shutting it off. As I kept thinking back on the season, though, I kept thinking about the show, feeling as though I didn't give it a proper shot. I mean, it's a moe show based on a 4-koma, it moves at a slow pace, and one of the recurring jokes is an older sister obsessed with her younger sister to an unhealthy degree. Definitely several checks in my “nope” column. This past month, though, I just kinda said, “Fuck it, I'll check it out anyway. I'll just make it through it.”

Turns out, this show is kind of okay!

     It was a bit of a struggle to get through the first half of the show, as it mostly ended up being set-up of character relationships among each other, setting some small conditions between the main characters (the main couple agreeing to not talk about their engagement in public at school is actually a major plot point later in the show, for instance).
It all culminates in a silly, admittedly kinda stupid plot twist in episode five that they only really hint at earlier in the episode. This dumb twist does actually work for me, however, when I realize that it makes the internal logic of the show make sense. I don't actually want to spoil the twist for those who wind up intrigued by this show, but it definitely adds to the humor later on rather than detracting from it.

     Engaged to the Unidentified is, through and through, still a slice-of-life 4-koma show. The show is structured very heavily around its punchlines, and its characters all have several stock ones associated with them (some of which get recontextualized post-reveal). Kobeni is the straight man who has a few small character traits here and there, Benio is basically a little-sister-lolicon (and is automatically the worst part of the show), Mashiro is a little girl who attempts to act older than she is, Hakuya is silent, straightforward, and never changes his expression (or does, at least subtly). What's interesting about this show is that it doesn't feel like an animated anthology of comic strips like most shows of its ilk.  Engaged flows from each small joke without a sting that usually accompanies the punchlines in these types of shows, adding to a much larger punchline at the end of the overall joke. Its timing and use of hilarious facial expressions is usually right on, making me occasionally even giggle at Benio's scenes. When the jokes are actually funny, they do make me smile and laugh, but usually never more than that.  

     What's also nice about this show is how it looks; there's a lot of simple cinematography and SD character designs, but there are even just mundane moments of walking in the snow or cooking that look fantastic. There's a lot of imagination in the opening, too, but I do have to chastise it for having two prolonged, intentionally ecchi-bait shots at the very beginning that paint a wrong impression about the amount of fanservice content in the show (which never crosses the line past jokes about Kobeni having large breasts). The ending is also quite cute and charming, but that's a topic for another day. It's a solid outing for Dogakobo.

     ...wow, I had a lot more to say on Engaged to the Unidentified than I thought I would. Probably because I just finished it yesterday, but yeah. I still wouldn't wholly recommend it, as it takes its sweet time, not really getting too interesting for me outside of a few jokes until around episode five, and there are plenty of jokes about little sister fetishes and breast size that I'm not crazy about. The rest of the show can be rather cute and sweet, though, especially when it occasionally takes time away from being lighthearted comedy to being slightly more serious but still heartwarming. Like the true nature of its cast, Engaged to the Unidentified is more than it would seem at first glance, but not much more than that.

The rest:


Hoo boy, this was the season of unfinished shows for me. If I recall correctly, the major reason I didn't continue with most of this was because of a few things, one of those being my new job and the other being a two-week marathon of the 2005 anime adaptation of the 1970s shoujo manga Glass Mask (which is still streaming up on Crunchyroll). I got through the whole thing, and it was pretty amusing. I wouldn't say that you would absolutely need to see it, but it's fun for fans of ludicrous old shoujo (I equate it to a shonen battle manga, except replace the fighting with acting. Seriously).

But in any case, here's my pile of shame from this season:

  • Hozuki no Reitetsu. I wish I finished this show. I really do. The first three episodes were all my type of dry humor, and it's pretty silly stuff. I think it's still in my queue, and I even wholeheartedly recommended it at the beginning of the season. I'll save it for a sick day, one where I need to laugh a lot.
  • Witch Craft Works. People really seemed to like this! I can understand why, as it seems like a neat genderflipped scenario where the dude ends up becoming the damsel in distress instead of the lady, and there was very little objectification of her in the few episodes I saw. Something about the humor didn't click with me right off the bat, though, and I just added it to my queue. I'll sit through it eventually, probably saving that for another sick day, but we'll see.
  • Nisekoi. Oh Shaft, you didn't need to animate this. No, really, Shinbou, you didn't need to direct this. Nisekoi is a never-ending Shonen Jump rom-com, and I saw its formula coming once I realized that both Chitoge and Onodera had keys. More keys would be introduced, none of them would work on Raku's pendant, etc.. It's bog standard stuff, and I grew bored of it.
  • World Conquest Zvezda Plot. This show gets a lot of love from other sects of the blogging community, and I couldn't attach to it. It kinda tried way too hard for me in places, and the smoking episode was really heavy-handed. The costuming was also doofy (and gross, for Kate's costume). Also in the queue, but I don't think I'll finish it.
  • Sakura Trick. I wanted to say some words on this in its own separate blog post, but this show is for straight guys who fetishize lesbians, not LGBT looking for good representation. It's a fetish show. Ugh.
  • Silver Spoon season 2. I'll get to it, I swear. I liked the first season! I...actually think I watched the first season during this winter season. Well then.


And with that, I think I've made peace with winter 2014. Next season will be a lot more interesting, a lot of stuff is worthy of discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment